Sunday, January 6, 2008

Zurich, Switzerland

When you go to another country and stay there for a while there is always an issue with friends that want to come and visit you. Well, many really do want to come for a visit but most of them never will. This is not because they don't like you or they've forgotten you, no, it's because the time you spent in the country is over faster than people can imagine. Even though I've spent more than six months in Canada these six months seemed to have been over in a blink and "suddenly" I was back in Germany. Actually, I can't complain, there were three close friends of mine visiting me in Kingston and that are three more than I have expected. Janine visited for a day, which was not a lot but was really nice, Dave came for a few days and we did some fun things and when Sebastian passed through Kingston, I haven't been around but anyway, he tried.

When I came back from Canada and announced that I'll be doing an internship in Zurich, Switzerland, many people told me how nice it is and that they'll visit me and have a cheap holiday. Well first of all, there is nothing cheap in Switzerland, alomost everything is a little or a lot more expensive than in Germany (but on the other hand, people also have a higher salary).

However, I never thought that a lot of people would actually drop by, although Switzerland is much closer to Germany than Canada. Maybe when I'm still around here for the European Championship in Soccer next summer, some people might show up, especially since I live just a few blocks from the stadium where group C (the Netherlands, France, Italy and Romania) will play.

Anyway - just a week before Christmas Steffi came around for the weekend. She is doing her internship at Daimler in Stuttgart and had a colleague who lives in Zurich and drives there every weekend. So she was able to go with him and I picked her up at his place. We did some fun things, finally drank a few bottles of wine (something we wanted to do for a long time again) and talked a lot. We also took a quick glance at Zurich, walked around downtown and took a look at the Zueri See. The next day we hiked up a "little" hill called the Uetliberg and had a nice view over the city. Unfortunately it was not really clear so that we couldn't see the "big" mountains in the south. Anyway, it was a fun weekend and it was really nice to have someone visit me. Some of the pictures we took this weekend are as usual on picasa and you can check them out if you like. You can also send me an email and we can schedule a weekend for you to visit me as well, if you like...

No comments: